Re: [femm] FE magnetics commercial ware

Thanks for the input. I'm sure I will use it as I take the next dive into
finite element packages. As I was reading your reply I thought of some of
the user interface issues with 3D that I had dealt with in the past. You
must admit that creating the 3D geometry is a challenge, in general (coils
are particularly fun). That's why it is important that the software support
some sort of "foreign", but standard, 3D file format for geometry input.
I've told every vendor so far that it is rediculous wasting time trying to
write a "3D CAD" front end when there are perfectly good package on the
market that do a much better job (Solidworks, Solid Edge, Cadkey, Ironcad,
on and on) and at a reasonable price. Some are listening.

3D has a long way to go, still, from pre and post processors to the solvers
themselves. Compute time is an issue that will take care of itself as it
always has (Last year at this time did you think you could have a 1.2GHz
processor on your desk?). The more basic issue is need. There are times
when you NEED 3D. There are may more times when it would be nice but
provides little improvement in accuracy or insight than what you can acheive
with 2D and an understanding of what you're analyzing. Try getting a handle
on 3D eddy current analysis or a reliable value for iron loss, low and high
frequency, how about 3D transient analysis. The Magsoft and Ansoft approach
that allows external circuits to be used with a 2D model and interface with
other modeling packages like Symplorer offer some powerful capabilities,
beyond 3D in many ways.

Sorry for rambling, thanks again.